I’m thinking about taking a group to Faith Day at Nationals Park. On September 6 it will be the Nats vs. the Phillies followed by a Lincoln Brewster concert and player testimonies. Get more info here and let me know if you are interested. I’ll need your money by August 27 if you want to go.
Rejoicing in God’s Good Design – Review from last night
Last night we looked at gender and God’s design in the church.
- Main idea: Although certain roles of headship and authority are restricted to men, there is much fulfilling work to be done by both men and women in the church.
- Biblical headship and submission follow the pattern of the trinity. “Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of woman man, and the head of Christ is God.” 1 Corinthians 11:3
- The biblical idea of headship means servanthood. Clearly Christ is over mankind with authority. But this authority is expressed through sacrificial service. Christ laid himself down for the church.
- The biblical idea of headship involves voluntary, respectful submission between equals. –– “The head of Christ is God.” Christ is above human beings, but the Father and Christ are equal in power, dignity, and importance. Therefore, headship does not imply superiority. Philippians 2:6 tells us that the Son was equal to the Father, but voluntarily took on a subordinate role, obeying the Father. He did this to accomplish our salvation.
- “Headship” is something given by one person to another. The giver is equal to the receiver: the receiver has a real and final authority, but uses it only to serve and please and build up the giver.
- Traditionalist misunderstanding – If man is the head in the home and at church then it must imply that women are inferior. Therefore, it is better that they stay at home, not go to college, not get jobs or pursue a career.
- Feminist misunderstanding – Authority implies greater value so therefore the Bible can’t be accurate on this point.
Rejoicing in God’s Good Design – Preview: Biblical Manhood and Womanhood Wrapup
We’ll be finishing up the curriculum and doing a summary and review.
- Main Idea: Young men should rejoice in God’s good design and train themselves for mature masculinity, and young women should likewise rejoice and train themselves for mature femininity.
- Key Verse: Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.—1 TIMOTHY 4:7-8
New Policies for Wednesday Nights – Reminder
For the purpose of greater safety and accountability on Wednesday nights we will be implementing these new policies. These aren’t meant to restrict but simply to provide better protection and accountability on Wednesday nights:
- All parents who pick up their students must be here at 9pm. Parents, please come and hang out with us and be a part at that time. All the extra eyes is a really good thing.
- No student is allowed upstairs on Wednesday nights.
- Everyone must be off the property by 9:15.
Upcoming This Fall
- Rising 7th graders are welcome to youth group starting with the first Wednesday of September.
- New curriculum of Apologetics: Answering tough questions about God and Christianity by Matt Chandler – Why does God allow suffering and tragedy? Does science disprove Christianity? Is Jesus really the only way? Why are Christians so hypocritical?
- New Sunday school format. There will not be a 10-12 grade class in Sunday school this fall. Instead we are going to encourage the older youth to start serving on Sundays or attend an adult class. A large number of our youth are already doing this.
First Wednesday Party
September 3 we’ll be at the Parker’s home in Philomont for a party to kick off the new school year! More details in the coming weeks. But remember that we will not be at the church that night.
Faith Day at Nationals Park
Nationals vs. Phillies. Lincoln Brewster. Player Testimonies. All for $15. Get more info and signup.
Aug 27 – Last Youth Group for students who just graduated, current study will finish
Sept 3 – First Wednesday – Welcome rising 7th graders!! Parker Party!
Sept 6 – Faith Day at Nats Park
Sept 10 – Start Apologetics